Where do you belong?

Posted on October 15, 2013




Have you ever experienced a feeling that you belong somewhere that you’ve never been to before? Visited a town and felt an immediate connection with the place, felt you’ve been there before and that this might’ve been your home in a previous life maybe?


What exactly creates this invisible connection or a bond between you and a certain place?

It’s a question I’ve been asking myself now for quite a while  since the first time I visited Alexandria, Egypt, and felt an immediate sense of belonging to this city. The feeling I get whenever I’m there is that of an immense joy and peace – that I’m pretty much where I truly belong – regardless of the season or the company. I can almost use the missing puzzle piece metaphor to describe how I feel whenever I’m away from Alexandria! I would like to think of myself as a seasoned traveler having been to a considerable number of cities in Europe and the Middle East. I have my list of favourite cities that I would fly to in a heart beat! Yet, Alexandria has this something that makes it rise above all the rest.

So I keep wondering what draws us to so much to a certain place and fills us with a sense of awe whenever we think if it!

Is it the people?

Is it the geography? (urban, coastal, country)

Is it a distant memory that has taken residence in our subconscious?

Or maybe a kind of fulfillment that we only attain when we are in this place, yet we’re unable to identify?

I’m yet to unfold my own reasons for my love for Alex, and if I never do, that certainly won’t make me love it any less.

So here’s a thought to ponder…where do YOU belong? :)




Post a Comment